MPEL (MEMS Pellistor) and No Compromise Needed
Apr 12 2022
Most flammable gas detectors are equipped with a catalytic (pellistor) or infrared sensor. It is this sensor that converts the concentration of the flammable gas into an electrical signal that the device can process and warn us of the danger. Each technology has its advantages and disadvantages:
- Pellistors are relatively inexpensive and sensitive to a wide range of flammable gases, but are not as resistant to environmental contaminants and mechanically robust as infrared sensors.
- Infrared sensors, on the other hand, are highly resistant to environmental contaminants and mechanically robust, but cannot be used to detect certain combustible gases such as hydrogen and are more expensive than pellistors.
The choice of technology utilised has often depended on a compromise between cost and reliability…
The MPEL from SGX Sensortech provides instrument manufacturers and instrument users with a third option which removes the need for compromise. Flammable gas sensor utilises well established catalytic bead chemistry supported by a silicon constructed microelectromechanical system (MEMS) and provides a revolutionary level of sensing reliability. Some of the key benefits are;
- Reduction in operating power – the MPEL when operated constantly uses half the power of a standard pellistor, instantly doubling instrument run time. In addition, the MPEL can also be operated in pulsed mode which further reduces the power consumption giving opportunities for longer run times in portables, longer cable runs or more sensor points per cable run.
- Poison and inhibition resistance – the sensor is fitted with novel filtration technology to remove contaminants which occur in typical industrial environments. Its resistance to common poisons such as silicone vapours or inhibitors such as hydrogen sulphide is far superior to existing pellistor technology and will result in a significant increase in sensor lifetime.
- Mechanical robustness - the MPEL uses a unique solid-state design which means that it is more resistant to mechanical shocks and vibration. With an MPEL fitted, an instrument will no longer need to be calibrated, or worse, sent back for sensor replacement when it is accidentally dropped.
- Affordable cost – since the MPEL is manufactured on automated wafer fab and deposition equipment, it is available at a competitive price and considerably well below that of infra-red technology.
If you are a designer and manufacturer of either portable or stationary flammable gas instrumentation, the SGX Sensortech MPEL provides you with a product fully capable of meeting your customers’ flammable sensing needs. Whether you are looking to design smaller instruments, increase operating run time or reduce overall cost of ownership, the next generation MPEL technology can provide the answer. It is available in a range of industry standard packages, provided with full safety certification and can be used as a drop in replacement for your existing sensor with little or no circuitry modification.
If you’d like to learn more about the revolutionary technology included in the MPEL or wish to see for yourself the performance you can achieve, then please contact one of our knowledgeable sales team or our network of local distributors for more information or samples for evaluation.
Asian Environmental Technology 27.1 - Buyers' Guide
In This Edition Buyer's Guide Directory - Product Listings by Category - Suppliers Listings (A-Z) Business News - Alphasense enhances customer experience with new investments - Kunak...
View all digital editions
Apr 05 2023 Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Apr 05 2023 Paris, France
Apr 11 2023 Moscow, Russia
Apr 13 2023 Beijing, China
Apr 17 2023 Baton Rouge, Louisiana